Saturday 8 November 2008

More tales from Cholomendy

A few years after Roger arrived at Anfield, he was joined by Pete Wiseman, a Biology teacher he'd worked with. Pete's party piece was to greet people by shaking their hand saying, "please excuse my warts". He did it with men, women, inspectors - anybody.

Pete and Roger took parties of boys to Cholomendy and had many tales to recount of their times there. I will just relate two of them.

Pete and Roger had been to the Cholomendy Arms for a drink one night. When they got back to camp, they called in the dormitory to see that all was OK. As they stood leaning on one of the bunks, Pete and Roger became aware that it was moving in a rhythmic fashion. They quickly deduced that the boy on the top bunk was pleasuring himself. I'm sure I don't need to relate the content of the conversation that took place between the two teachers. The gist of it was that they decided a quick slap in the region of the offending part would put paid to problem. The boy looked suitably sheepish the next day but of course nothing was said.

On another occasion Pete and Roger had a bad snorer in the party who was keeping the others awake. They moved him to a bunk at the far end of the dorm but that didn't work. So the next night they waited until he was fast asleep and then carried him, complete with his bunk, outside. When the boy woke up in the morning he must have wondered where the dormitory and all his friends had disappeared to. I don't think he slept for the rest of the week for fear of what might happen to him. It certainly cured the snoring problem.

Actually Pete played a similar trick on me. Once I had settled a class down to work, occasionally (well once a day at most) I would visit Roger next door and we would go into his stock room for a smoke.

One time, when I'd been next door for a smoke, I returned to my room to find the whole class had gone. Their work was still out and their bags were still there but there wasn't a child in sight.

As I started to consider how I was going to explain to the Head that I'd lost my class whilst I was having a smoke next door, I heard a noise from my stockroom. I opened the door to find that Pete had managed to get all 30 members of the class into a room the size of a normal bathroom. Both he and the class thought it was hilarious.

I never did get my own back on him for that.

No comments: